Fifth anniversary of Chibok girls abduction: Buhari says hope not lost

Posted by Mandy Oteng on 2019-04-14 06:50:00 | Views: 5 |

Popular Menu


Fifth anniversary of Chibok girls abduction: Buhari says hope not lost


President Muhammadu Buhari says he has not forgotten girls of the Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, who were kidnapped about five years ago.

Presidential spokesperson, Garba Shehu, in a statement, noted that Buhari promised parents of the girls when he met them at the beginning of his first term as president, that he would bring their daughters home.

Today is the fifth anniversary of the abduction, as the girls were taken away on April 14, 2014.

“He is aware that this promise he made is the main reason the people of Chibok voted overwhelmingly for him in the February elections, and although his government has so far succeeded in bringing back 107 of the girls, the president will not rest until the remaining are reunited with their families.

“President Buhari assures the parents that his administration is still on the matter,” he said.

He said diverse efforts are being intensified to secure the release of the Chibok girls, along with all hostages in Boko Haram captivity, including Leah Sharibu who was kidnapped from her school, Science Secondary School, Dapchi, Yobe State, on February 19, 2018.

On Leah Sharibu’s abduction, he said the interlocutors have reported encouraging progress so far.

“The report reaching us says her return to her family has unfortunately been hindered by the fear of the militants.

“They worry that heavy military presence in areas where they previously moved about freely could affect their safety after they return her to the government.

“At the same time, the military cannot jeopardise the security of the entire north-eastern region by halting their operations to accommodate Boko Haram’s fears.

“Leah Sharibu will be reunited with her family as soon as conclusions are reached on a number of options being considered for her safe transportation,” he said.

He said the success of the Nigerian military in subduing Boko Haram was evidenced by the large number of militants who surrendered recently, especially in neighbouring Cameroon and Niger.

He said a similar mass surrender of militants is expected to happen soon in Nigeria.

“While Nigerian military operations are on-going, the government is also engaging with the militants but the talks have been affected by the factionalisation of Boko Haram – with one group adopting a hard line attitude and intensifying attacks on Nigeria, Cameroon and Chad, and another group engaging with the government for peaceful resolution.

“President Buhari also uses this opportunity of the commemoration of the Chibok tragedy to commend the girls, now women, who have triumphed over it all.

“He sends special greetings to the 106 girls sponsored by the Nigerian government to continue their studies at the American University of Nigeria, Yola,” he said.

KINDLY DROP A COMMENT BELOW

Read Full Story Here.... :
Leave Comment Here :





Commentics

Sorry, there is a database problem.

Please check back shortly. Thanks.


Latest News: